Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.

Lower back left side of head pain from last 4-5 days JA:

Customer Question

Lower back left side of head pain from last 4-5 days
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Sudden pain on left back side start while sex.... It will continue till 1 hour...
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Neurologists generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Neurology
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Is this problem related to eye or brain?
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 6 months ago.
Hello. This problem is most likely pre-orgasmic headache, a condition of pain in the occipital or posterior side of your head, from muscular contraction. I would ask you if you have a history of migraine headache, or any family history of CNS vascular problems, such as cerebral aneurysms? Preorgasmic headache occurs during sexual activity, increasing as sexual excitement increases. It's usually bilateral (on both sides), a dull ache in the head and neck (not Migraine). It can also include neck and jaw muscle tightening. Orgasmic headache is a severe, sudden headache (not Migraine) that occurs at orgasm.Both preorgasmic and orgasmic headaches are more common among men than women. Most are short in duration, but for about 15% of those experiencing them, severe pain can last from four hours to 24 hours, which makes treatment necessary. Treatment is indomethacin, (indocin) an NSAID medication that you take prior to initiating sex, that will prevent the episode. I did ask about aneurysms, but that is an unlikely cause. Cerebral aneurysms can leak during sex, called the "sentinal bleed" it can give a severe, lancinating headache. Although uncommon, it is important to exclude, as eventual rupture can lead to sudden death. For that reason, often patients with this problem get a Brain MRI, just to exclude that possibility. Please get back to me to discuss this further and I will reply. I can also call you to discuss this if needed, just click on the phone option or I can set it up. You then put your number and a time to call in the box. JA charges extra for this premium service. Or if satisfied with this answer, please remember to rate my service by clicking on the rating stars, as that is how I am compensated for this work. Thanks *****