Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

What can happen if Depomedrol is injected IV instead of So

Customer Question

what can happen if Depomedrol is injected IV instead of Solumedrol
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 7 months ago.
Hello Welcome to JA. Depomedrol is a suspension of methylprednisolone acetate in sterile water and benzoyl alcohol. So there are a few possibilities related to toxicity. First from the benzoyl alcohol that can be toxic to the liver. The suspension that can damage the kidneys, and the acetate which can cause acidosis and cellular damage. This medication can also not be given Intrathecally (within the dura of the spinal cord) and it can cause neural toxicity, probably again because of the alcohol which can demyelinate. It should not be used for epidural injections as well. There are reported cases of blindness due to optic nerve demyelination when depomedrol is given IV.
Here is additional information on possible effects of intraparenteral administration (IV, intrathecal)PARENTERAL CORTICOSTEROID THERAPY - Anaphylactic reaction or allergic reactions, hypopigmentation or hyperpigmentation, subcutaneous and cutaneous atrophy, sterile abscess, post injection flare (following intra-articular use), Charcot-like arthropathy, rare instances of blindness associated with intralesional therapy around the face and head. So I hope that answers your question. Please get back to me if you have further questions and I will reply. Or if satisfied, please remember to rate my service by clicking on the rating stars, as that is how I am compensated for this work. Thanks *****