DrThomasMd, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Internal medicine doctor, diagnose and treat neurology patients, many years

I had a GTC in highschool. Doctors told me teenage girls under

Customer Question

I had a GTC in highschool. Doctors told me teenage girls under stress can have seizures. I was taking wellbutrin(if i even spelled that correctly) an anti-depression pill. It was a high dose prescription. So they also thought it was due to the fact that since I skipped a dose one day, i took two the next day so that i wouldn't crash and become really depressed. I was taken into the hospital and I was hooked up to an EEG. They noticed postictal slowing so the neurologist decided to put me on Lamictal 3x a day. Since then i had noticed waking up in random areas on my parents garage floor. (This all happened almost 10 years ago.) I decided to see the neurologist about the fact that nothing was ever found to prove why these seizures happened so I was taken off lamictal because docs never found a problem with CT or MRI. I am now 27 and experience R leg stabbing jerks. I take ambian for sleep but i started having rhythmic twitching around my R knee which came and gone. My PCP said that i wouldnt be able to get an EMG for at least 4-5 months due to my insurance which has recently changed. Now i feel like im getting these R leg twitches but then will almost fall asleep and then suddenly wake up with my arms and legs extended and stiffen. Its happened at the most 5-6 times a night. Im wondering if there is something really wrong. There are times i lose control of my legs and drop but i remember everything that happened. Can you possibly tell me if i should be worried and what needs to be done if it's abnormal?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  DrThomasMd replied 6 months ago.
HelloThis sounds like seizures as far as waking up on the floor.The twitches can be warnings.You need to go back to a neurologist at this point.You need a repeat EEG.Medication should never have been stopped without at least a year of normal EEG activity. I am board certified in integrative medicine, internal medicine, trained in functional medicine and homeopathy, etc. I am here daily: use my request link as needed and “for Dr. Thomas” in the question title. Give that link to friends, family, associates, etc. Find me as needed for correct, safe and accurate answers.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Waking up on the floor occured right after the GTC in highschool and being put on lamictal. This evwnt occured when I was 16. Now im 27 and have PLMs in the R knee and now suddenly waking with the stiffness. Almost like a dream when falling but its like i wake up by my whole body stiffening. It doeant happen every night but it definitely worries me due to the GTC on the past
Same answer.You need the EEG.A sleep deprived EEG would be ideal, it has a better yield on abnormal activity. please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I work in EEG so thats why im concerned. I se status, TBIs, absence, myoclonic jerks/ epilepsy etc... My neurologist from back then moved away but if he should have made sure the EEG was normal before thinking of changing meds is this a big problem as far as this neurologist?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I can not comment on your care your your doctors.I do not work with them.I am simply stating that the standard of care is to make sure you don't have seizure activity first. please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.