Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

MRI findings - disc dessication, disc herniation L4/5; mass

Customer Question

MRI findings - disc dessication, disc herniation L4/5; mass effect on cauda equina and thecal sac
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Lower back pain thatcraduates on hip down right leg
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Neurologists generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 8 months ago.
Hello. Welcome to JA. Do you have any bowel or bladder issues? I cannot tell if you are a man or woman, but if a man, do you have erectile dysfunction? The concern in your report is the "mass effect" on a system of nerves called the cauda equina (horses tail). this can be a reason for surgery over just physical therapy, but it depends on your symptoms, your body habitus (are you morbidly obese or a good surgical candidate, do you have other medical problems like diabetes?) and your findings on neurological examination of the lower extremities and possibly an EMG study (an electrical test, neurodiagnostic test). You use all of that to decide if surgery is needed. So get back to me to discuss this further if I can help. I will reply. Or if satisfied with this answer, please remember to rate my service by clicking on the rating stars, as that is how I am compensated for this work thanks dr frank