Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

What causes sudden involuntary jerk of the hand/arm or leg

Customer Question

What causes sudden involuntary jerk of the hand/arm or leg?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Welcome to JA. Can you tell me more. How old is your husband, other medical problems? This problem of sudden jerking one time with no change in consciousness sounds like myoclonus. Myoclonus may develop in response to infection, head or spinal cord injury, stroke, brain tumors, kidney or liver failure, lipid storage disease, chemical or drug poisoning, or other disorders. Prolonged oxygen deprivation to the brain, called hypoxia, may result in posthypoxic myoclonus. Myoclonus can occur by itself, but most often it is one of several symptoms associated with a wide variety of nervous system disorders. For example, myoclonic jerking may develop in patients with multiple sclerosis, Parkinson's disease, Alzheimer's disease, or Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease. Myoclonic jerks commonly occur in persons with epilepsy, a disorder in which the electrical activity in the brain becomes disordered leading to seizures.Any epilepsy in the family? This can be myoclonus as the most likely cause, either startle, or nocturnal, there are seizure disorders like myoclonic epilepsy. Please get back to me with more information. I assume there is no change in level of consciousness, or confusion after the event. Neurological examination is normal, and no family history of neurological disease? Get back to me to discuss and I will reply. Or I can call you if you need that service, just put your name and number in the offer box, and a time to call. Dr Frank
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.
Hello Shirley. Please come back to read the response I left for you. You can then write back and I will reply. Or if satisfied with this answer, please remember to rate this service by clicking on the rating stars, as that is how I am compensated for this work. Thanks Dr Frank