Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Can you please answer my guestion re: how many is the legal

Customer Question

Can you please answer my guestion re: how many is the legal quanity for a Dr. to write
for pain medication if you have had 4 back surgeries and followed all requirments for chronic pain with the proper testing of MRIs x rays blood work. I have suffered these conditions for the last 20 yrs along with numbness in my left leg. I don't where to go from here. I have a wonderful doctor I see monthly, but can not relay it it getting harder to maintain the quility of I need. I also take care of my 77yr old mother. i just need some information. Thank you so much for listening, and hopefully find out how to about this.
i
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 7 months ago.
Hello from JustAnswer. According to federal law, there is no specific limit to the quantity of opiates that the doctor can prescribe. The monthly amount would be based on the expected frequency of use. It is expected that the doctor prescribe an amount that can be justified by the clinical situation, according to standard medical practice. Certain states may have specific limits, but federal law does not have such a limit.