Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurology & Int Medicine (US Trained): 20 yrs experience
61817858

I'm 64 and have an occasional stabbing pain on the top right

Customer Question

I'm 64 and have an occasional stabbing pain on the top right side of my head whenever I bend down, cough, strain, etc. It's always in the same spot and lasts for a few seconds. When I had PT recently for a piriformis issue, whenever the therapist did deep tissue massage, it triggered an excruciating migraine on the right side of my head. Any ideas on what this might be?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 8 months ago.
It sounds like you may be having vascular headaches. Some blood vessels may become very sensitive to changes in pressure and flow through them. They can vasodilate or vasoconstrict in response to local changes in these parameters, causing pain, headache, visual disturbances, nausea, even stroke like symptoms. If this is new for you, you should see your family doctor and ask about a referral to neurology. An MRI/MRA might also be indicated to look at the brain and its circulation.