Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.

My husband has been having dull headaches (pain reliever

Customer Question

My husband has been having dull headaches (pain reliever helps) towards the end of the day. Tonight he felt slightly lightheaded. He's also been suffering from spells of extreme vertigo accompanied by vomiting (due to spinning) off and on for 2 weeks. He's been extremely stressed lately. I took him to the ER where they did a CBC. Labs were normal expect for they were concerned that his red blood cells were borderline small in size. I'm worried about him. What could all this mean? Could his red blood cells explain headache, slight fatigue and dizziness or could this be an issue with his brain? He was taking a performance vitamin because he is a heavy weight lifter and also runs 5 miles every other night on the treadmill, but these vitamins do not have iron in it. He also takes a pre workout supplement that has really high amounts of zinc in in which concerns me. He eats red meat, but not a ton. I'm worried about whats going on.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 6 months ago.
Hi. Do you have the CBC results? Do you have his MCV? It sounds like he is orthostatic, that his blood pressure is dropping as he stands, which can be seen in anemia. Did they order a serum iron, TIBC, and ferritin levels? Get back to me to discuss this further Dr frank
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
They didn't give me any of that information, all they said that his red blood cells were small, and to get back with him in a month or two to see if it's cleared up after he stops vomiting. (they though it was a stomach flu, but I'm not so sure) He doesn't seem to be having any issues when he stands up or changes position, but the vertigo and vomiting hit out of nowhere (like an attack) and he vomits until the spinning goes away. The dull headache is what worries me along with this vertigo. He has never ever had these issues before, and suddenly he does and is really suffering.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
his blood pressure is borderline high, and it has been since he was a teenager.
Did they check his eye movements for abnormal jerking (nystagmus)? There is a condition BPPV (benign paroxysmal and positional vertigo). It gives you a spinning sensation with sudden head movements. Vomiting comes with the spinning. Treatment is meclizine (antivert) 12.5 mg three times a day and bed rest with his head elevated at 30 degrees above the horizontal. This usually is the result of a virus that effects his inner ear, or balance mechanism, Dr Frank
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No, they didn't check for abnormal eye movements as far as I know. They more checked for stomach flu issues and hooked him up to an IV with fluids. They seemed to brush off the headaches and spinning which is what concerns me, especially since his attacks are still happening off and on. He got light headed today (feeling faint) but Dramamine helped pull him out of it. The one thing that concerns me is a possible brain tumor? Is that even a possibility? The dr. laughed at my concerns, so it may seem far fetched.
I see from you history that you have posted many of these questions. I will opt out. Dr Frank
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 6 months ago.
The other expert has opted out and no other Neurologist has responded, so the question has been opened to other Medical experts. It would be very unlikely that this could be due to a brain tumor, particularly with symptoms of the duration that your husband has been experiencing. We typically would not be concerned about a brain tumor unless there are worrisome findings on neurologic examination or if there are persistent symptoms with no apparent cause.