Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Experience:  Medical Doctor Trained at a Top Academic Institution
55099014

I'm a college graduate who had high aspirations of becoming

Customer Question

I'm a college graduate who had high aspirations of becoming a dentist. I spent so many years of time and effort working toward this goal, and now that I'm so close to applying-I've come to a fork in the middle of the road. I was diagnosed with scoliosis when I was a child and ending up needing spinal fusion surgery to correct my curvature (s-shaped) which had grown to over 72 degrees during my adolescent years. My question is - Would dentistry be a good career choice for me despite the condition with my back? I currently don't experience much pain at 23 years of age, and remain physically active while leading a healthy lifestyle. The only problem I've had with my back was muscle stiffness in my neck/shoulder/back area but will be starting physical therapy soon to work on this.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 7 months ago.
Well this is a very tough question.I can tell you that I have several patients who are dentists and they all have bad necks. Could they have done something more to prevent it? Maybe. Hard to sayDoes this mean you are going to be even worse? I don't know that either.But I wouldn't stop doing something you love just because it might cause problems down the road
Please don't forget to look at the rating scale for me.I am credited for work only when you rate positiveIf you have more questions, just reply :)