Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.

I would like to request Dr. SH

Customer Question

I would like to request Dr. SH
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 6 months ago.
Hello. I don't believe there is a Dr. SH in Neurology here. If you want to discuss this with me, just let me know, otherwise I will opt out. Dr Frank
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hello Doctor!
I would love to have you help me with my question.
My name is***** am a 45yr old male.
I work a very fast-paced and stressful bartending/managing job.
Unfortunately, I struggle with, and am prone to, hypochondria.
I have lately been worrying about dementia.
Last night something happened that scared me.
As background: I will frequently turn down my bed in the evening in preparation for a night's sleep. I keep my earplugs loose, next to my bedcovers.
Last night I walked into my room and saw my covers turned down with my earplugs lying, haphazardly, on top.
I do not remember turning down my bed.
It seems logical that my earplugs were caught up in my covers when they were flipped aside.
Also, my wife reassures me that it isn't uncommon to perform these habitual type of actions on "auto-pilot" and to forget them, especially if you have other things on your mind.
I did have a lot of stressors that evening including an impending deadline for an article that I was writing.
Can you infer anything (worrisome or malignant) from this "incident"?
I have been reassured by neurologists that I am not exhibiting symptoms of dementia, but this kind of thing worries me.
I appreciate your time, patience, and expertise!
HI. What you experienced was a "fugue state". Your wife is correct, we do things on "auto-pilot" frequently because our sensorium, all the things coming into our consciousness is overwhelmed at times. We filter. The example I give is when you drive down the highway, you do fine, and you probably look at all the highway signs for exits, but if I asked you if you remember seeing an certain exit, you can't remember it. This is all modulated by areas around the posterior temporal lobe, and there are conditions like TGA, transient global amnesia, where you can go for hours and act normally, speak normally, yet have no recollection for the event. This is a vascular syndrome from problems of the posterior circulation. But that is not you. Your stressors for the evening shunted your attention to matters that were deemed more important, and you filtered out the unnecessary. That is a fugue condition and is perfectly normal, it suggests that you are able to intellectually choose and remove unnecessary items from your consciousness. BTW, there are new studies that suggest your dream states and just sleep in general is important to "cleanse the brain" of these unnecessary information packets so I would suggest you get good sleep every evening (or whatever your usual circadian rhythym allows because of your job) to help your brain work better I hope that helps. Please get back to me with questions, or if satisfied, please remember to rate my service by clicking on the rating stars, as that is how I am compensated for this work. thanks *****