Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

I had Heroes Zoster about 7 months ago in my left waist. Now

Customer Question

I had Heroes Zoster about 7 months ago in my left waist. Now I'm still suffering from Post Herpetic Neuralgia. Should I try a nerve ablation procedure?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Welcome to JA. I need more information regarding your situation. How long have you had PHN? Where is the problem on your body? Have you tried other medications, like Horizant (US preparation, may not be available where you are, what country are you calling from?) which is gabapentin encarbil, a extended release form. To answer the specific question, a nerve ablation procedure like RF neurolysis will cause numbness in the effected area, and will have to be repeated as often as every 3 months. You certainly can try that, but if you need a more permanent fix, you have to lesion proximal to the DRG (dorsal root ganglion), one procedure is called DREZ, dorsal root entry zone neurolysis, which can be permanent. But obviously there are issues to discuss, so get back to me if I can help. Or if satisfied with this answer, please remember to rate this service by clicking on the rating stars, as that is how I am compensated for my work. thanks Dr frank
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.
Lorenzo. I hope I was able to send you valuable information. Please get back to me to discuss this further and I will reply. If satisfied with this answer, please remember to rate this service by clicking on the rating stars, as that is how I am compensated for this work thanks *****