Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery, 5 years experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I have a sharp pain in the arch of my right foot that increases

Customer Question

I have a sharp pain in the arch of my right foot that increases when pressure is applied. What could this be. I woke up with a sore foot this morning.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 8 months ago.
Hi and thanks for the query.At your age, pain in the arch of the foot is usually due to plantar fasciitis. It is a fascia that covers the plantar /heel to sole aspect of the foot over the muscle. It becomes tight and bruised due to prolonged walks, bad footwear and prolonged standing.The diagnosis can be confirmed on an examination and once that is done, treatment is usually with avoidance of vigorous physical activity, gel pads and insole pads, softer footwear and plantar exercises.If it remains unhealed then injection of cortisone can be given and the last resort is per cutaneous plantar fasciiotomy.Let me know if you have further questions.Please do not forget to leave a positive rating by clicking on stars on top right corner.Wish you good health.