Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.

QUESTION}I am 28 weeks pregnant and my right hand is swollen and red, mu leg is also swol

Customer Question

{QUESTION}I am 28 weeks pregnant and my right hand is swollen and red, mu leg is also swollen and foot purple
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 6 months ago.
Hello. Are you swollen from pregnancy with increased water weight? Do you have pain in the right wrist and numbness on the hand? That would be carpal tunnel syndrome that is common in the last trimester of pregnancy. But more concerning is the possibility that you are forming clots and that is why your right leg is swollen and foot purple? You can form DVT's, deep venous thrombosis, during pregnancy. Get back to me, if this is sudden, you may need to contact your OBGYN emergently Dr Frank
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi yes it is sudden but has happened for 2 days now
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Also my hand is numb, I have e coli and glucose in my urine which was tested due to thrush
It still could be a dvt. the signs are redness,warmth, and swelling, it should also hurt. Do you have all of that? Dr Frank
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
On my leg or hands?
Well the hand really does sound like CTS, Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. Can you get a "cock up " wrist splint for the hand to wear at night while you are sleeping? You can also elevate the hand on one pillow while sleeping to get it to drain. Dr Frank"
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok I will do that for the hand
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Do clots develop over a few days
Yes. that will resolve once you deliver, not to worry, you won't need surgery. The DVT issue is about the leg, but my suspicion is that you are compressing the femoral vein in the groin region as you are getting larger with the pregnancy, and putting pressure on the vein as it passes through the groin, especially with prolonged sitting (do you sit a lot?). So if that is the case, you need to walk a bit more. Then when in bed, also elevate your leg on a pillow or two. Any chance of that? Dr Frank
Yes was for the CTS. Clots develop over hours, not days. so maybe it is not a clot at all,, but compression in the groin region? Dr frank
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Compression in the groin?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I don't sit alot, I am the opposite. I have had to walk slower recently as I am out of breath and I am seeing silver dots and have blurred vision alot
I see. If you sit a lot, your uterus from the pregnancy can sit down on the groin region, where the femoral vein passes into the leg. Compressing the vein causes swelling in the leg, because blood cannot pass up to the heart. But if you are actively walking, then blood clots as well are not really possible, they come from immobility, not walking.