Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurosurgeon - Brain, spine, and peripheral nerve surgery
206912

I think I sprained my little toe on my right foot. It's swollen

Customer Question

I think I sprained my little toe on my right foot. It's swollen and browsed beneath my toe and it is sore to walk on. I have put frozen peas on it in a dish towel. It's stiff. Unfortunately I am scheduled to have a right knee replacement surgery in 5 days, will that jeopardize my surgery?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Caplan replied 8 months ago.
Hello!Welcome to the JustAnswer.com chat dialog. I am a Family Medicine doctor, board certified with active licenses and certification in Internal Medicine, Pediatrics, Obstetrics and Gynecology, as well as Integrative Medicine & Naturopathy, with advanced training in Neurology, Cardiovascular Medicine, Gastroenterology, Endocrinology, and Psychiatry. I am also well-trained in Functional Medicine. Perhaps most importantly, I consider myself a patient listener. I have read your post and observations. Would you prefer a summary answer to your question, or would you prefer more back-and-forth, where there will be a series of more questions and more details clarified? Either way, I’ll do my best to take the appropriate time to help you.
The short answer is "no" this will most likely not jeopardize your surgery. Even if it were broken, we don't tend to do much that is "invasive" for the little toes. Oftentimes, just taping and supporting the toes so they can heal on their own.
That being said, I'm happy to chat back and forth if you have more questions!