Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.

I'm having drumming in my left ear. JA: OK. The Neurologist

Customer Question

I'm having drumming in my left ear.
JA: OK. The Neurologist will need to help you with this. Please give me a bit more information, so the Neurologist can help you best.
Customer: Thank you.
JA: Anything else I can tell the Neurologist before I connect you two?
Customer: I was also dx with MS last Summer. I'm wondering if this is a symptom or related to another issue? I have had issues with vertigo and ear popping in the past.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Neurologist about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 6 months ago.
Hello. The most common reason for drumming, a type if tinnitus is a problem of conductive hearing loss, or a disruption in the inner ear, the part that registers the sound before processing the imput down the auditory nerve to the brain. This is not usually a problem associated with MS. So your symptoms of popping in the ear could be contributory to these current symptoms. Even ear wax in the external auditory canal can precipitate tinnitus. There are also benign tumors, a glomus tumor of the bone around the ear, that can cause pulsatile tinnitus, which is not drumming really. Anyway, I would suggest you see your ENT doctor first. He will determine if this is a peripheral ear organ problem and treat you as needed. He will probably do some vestibular testing (you may have had that in the past with vertigo) to see if you have a peripheral vestibular problem as well, even if you are asymptomatic, and he will test your hearing with an audiogram Get back to me to discuss this further if I can help, and I will reply. Or if satisfied with this answer, please remember to rate my service by clicking on the rating stars, as that is how I am compensated for this work thanks *****