Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.

I HAVE PAIN in neck and tenderness to touch and pressure in

Customer Question

I HAVE PAIN in neck and tenderness to touch and pressure in cervical spine area on left side that has lasted for 3 months. Chiopractic work has not helped and 15 sessions of physical therapy with massage, ultra sound and traction have not help. Every morning I wake up pain is intense and cannot turn head or must be carefull not to move head much. MRI revealed most significant finding that there is severe loss of disc height and signal intensity at C5-6 and moderate to mild loss at all other cervical junctions. What to do to elevate pain and heal or repair?
JA: Your nerves are the communications system for your body so you are doing the right thing consulting our Expert about anything to do with them. Losing comms is not good. Anything else I can tell the Neurologist before I connect you two?
Customer: no pain on right side of neck only left with occasional pain going to shoulder and to elbo on left side. I was not aware of any particular event that soused this problem but 4 months ago I had no noticeable problem. Is this disc compression fixable with therapy or exercise or surgery?
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Neurologist about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 6 months ago.
Hello. Welcome to JA. You need to get an evaluation looking at your muscle strength in individual muscles of your shoulders and arms, checking your reflexes at your elbow and wrist, and doing a sensory examination using a pin to see if you have sensory loss. Options include physical therapy, surgery to replace/repair the disc depending on the anatomic problem, and invasive pain management techniques like epidural steroid injection therapy to instill steroids in the space next to that C5/6 disc that is compressed and probably pinching the C6 nerve as it passes by. If you have not tried physical therapy and a strengthening /stretching program, I would suggest that first. There are medications you can take to reduce pain, like gabapentin (Neurotin) or pregabalin (Lyrica). A variety of options. Please get back to me to ask questions and I will reply. If you have your MRI report and have questions about it, just upload the report minus your name, as this is a public forum and I can explain the findings to you in more detail. If you want to talk about your problem on the phone, I can call you, but there is an additional fee, so if interested, just put your number in the offer box and a time to call if not now. Or just write back. Dr Frank