Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurosurgeon - Brain, spine, and peripheral nerve surgery

I have a lump approximately the size of a marble at the base

Customer Question

I have a lump approximately the size of a marble at the base of the back of my skull, right before the neck begins. It bleeds when lightly scratched (very lightly, I am not digging at it) I also have been having auditory sensations that sound like "pops" in my head about 2-3 times a day for the past 3 days. Not sure if auditory hallucinations or actually a symptom, but nonetheless it is worrying me quite a bit. Is this something I should be concerned about? I have also been taking 5HTP the past few days to elevate my mood in the mornings, although I'm not sure if this relates at all to my issue.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  khagihara replied 6 months ago.

How tall are you? How much do you weigh? Any weight change? Can you attach the photos here? Can it be moved easily? Any skin change? When did you notice it? Is it getting bigger? Pain, tenderness, itch? Any other symptoms? Are you aware of anything which might have triggered the sounds? Is your stress increased at home or work just before the symptom started? Hearing problem? Dizziness? Ear discharge? Any medical problems? Any surgeries? Any other medications including over-the-counter pills and herbs? Any family medical history?