Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

I have had several brain MRIs in the past (last one was

Customer Question

I have had several brain MRIs in the past (last one was 2008).Had a questionable diagnosis of MS in my 20's (I am now 79). Early MRIs mentioned "plaque" and seemed to suggest MS. Recent MRI's (2000 & 2008) have suggested small vessel disease and "atypical" MS.I have been having weird head sensations for over 30 years and in 2008 I consulted Dr. Rudick, MS specialist at Cleveland Clinic, who confirmed that the lesions on my brain suggest benign MS and not SVD. Recently saw a local neurologist who wants me to have another brain MRI since I have been having weird head sensations, intermittent pain, and disequilibrium. Any advice you can give me will be greatly appreciated.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 11 months ago.
Hi. At your age it as possible that even if you had MS earlier, it is now inactive. Getting an MRI with gadolinium contrast and FLAIR sequencing will investigate that possibility. If you had RRMS over 5 years, there is better than a 50% chance it would have changed to SPMS ( secondarily progressive MS ) much earlier so I would agree with Dr Rudick who is well known in the MS community. But to check again you need special MRI techniques as mentioned. Demyelinating lesions can also be identified if pericallosal with TDI , tensor diffusion imaging so ask the local neurologist if that makes sense as part of your imaging. Please get back to me to discuss this further and I will reply. Or if satisfied with this answer please remember to rate my service by clicking on the rating stars as that is how I am compensated for my work. Thanks. Dr Frank.