Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.

Looking doctor / neurologist response here. As a child

Customer Question

Hi all,Looking for a doctor / neurologist response here.As a child (between the ages of 12 and 15) I had four seizures in total. All of them (to my memory) were caused by sitting in front of one of those older CRT monitors with the lower refresh rates. Although my EEG was completely normal (theyweren't able to trigger a response) I was diagnosed with photosensitive epilepsy and prescribed Sodium Valporate. The last seizure I had was in 2005, while still at school, so it's been around 11 years now -- I haven't been on medication since that time, either.My question: does this make me epilepsy free? Is it possible that I had another type of epilepsy? I remember it all being very rushed, and nobody really understood what was going on. I've been thinking about it a lot, recently, and I guess I'm looking for reassurance that I have definitely "outgrown" it.Any thoughts would be most appreciated!
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 7 months ago.

Hi. There is a type of epilepsy called "reflex epilepsy" that makes you have seizures only in front of a CRT. Yes, you most likely have outgrown it. In in EEG, they do photic driving response, where they put you in front of a strobe light and change the frequency, they also do hyperventilation to try an get some "epileptiform activity" on the eeg. I take it they were unsuccessful. In the old days, we would use the CRT itself. So you should get another EEG under a variety of conditions just to see if you can get some sharp wave discharges to photic stimulation, but it sounds like you have outgrown it. Remember that epilepsy is 2 or more not related seizures over a period of time that cannot be explained by any factor like infection, drug withdrawal, etc. Many children with childhood or developmental epilepsy (about a third) will outgrow their seizure disorder. So I am not surprized by your statements. Get back to me if you have questions and I will reply. Or if satisfied with this answer, please remember to rate this service by clicking on the rating stars, as that is how I am compensated for this work. Dr Frank

Here is some boilerplate information on reflex epilepsy. Please review it and get back to me anytime if you have questions, and I will reply. If satisfied with this answer, please remember to rate this service by clicking on the rating stars as that is how I am compensated for this work. thanks dr Frank