Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.

I was diagnosed 12 years ago with Guillian Barre Syndrome. I

Customer Question

Hi! I was diagnosed 12 years ago with Guillian Barre Syndrome. I was completely paralyzed, but I was always able to breathe on my own, I got GBS from a flu vaccine. I have been labeled 100% disabled, I can walk on my own, but I have numerous residuals since GBS. I have Autonomic Disfunction, CFS, Hypothyrodism, my myelin sheath was very damaged, I have severe nerve and muscle pain. My question is, do I have CIDP, or could this be MS? My neurologist basically just treats the symptoms that he deals with. Since, it's been 12 years, I don't have GBS anymore, so what do I have??
JA: Your nerves are the communications system for your body so you are doing the right thing consulting our Expert about anything to do with them. Losing comms is not good. Is there anything else the Neurologist should be aware of?
Customer: I have, flare ups a lot. When I get one, I can be in bed for 3 weeks. Also, after the GBS, I have had problems with my eyes. The shape of my eyes seemed to be changing, so I can't wear contacts. I was just a little near sided before, and I had to change to transition glasses, I realize as we get older, our vision can get worse, when I got sick I was 32, and I started to have problems with my eyes by 33. I do have muscle spasms and have passed out, during a flare up, twice. I hope that helps, I also have short term memory issues and terrible brain fog.
JA: Our top Neurologist is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Neurologist in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Neurologist until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 7 months ago.

Hello. Your symptom flares are more consistent with the diagnosis of CIDP, a peripheral nerve demyelinating syndrome, than MS, which are lesions within the spinal cord and/or white matter (and actually grey matter as well) of the brain. So the concept is that your remyelination was not perfect, you have ephaptic transmission and conduction block on your NCS studies (?) and that leads to transitory pain/muscle spasms, your symptoms. This can effect the cranial nerves to your eyes, especially if GBS was severe as it sounds like yours was. So you need your neuro-ophthalmologist to check your abducens, trochlear, and oculomotor nerves. Please get back to me with questions and I will reply. Or if satisfied with this answer, please remember to rate this service by clicking on the rating stars as that is how I am compensated for this work. If you have an MRI report that you don't understand, just upload it minus your name as this is a public forum, and I can explain it to you. Dr frank