Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

My husband has pain in s arm and hand. It seems to be

Customer Question

My husband has pain in his arm and hand. It seems to be emanating from his shoulder and his hand and fingers feel like they are on fire with stinging sensations and numbness. When he stands, the pain eases a bit but becomes more intense when he reclines.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.
How old is he? Has he had his neck examined? Does he have cervical disc disease? Shoulder pain can be referred from the neck. Alternatively he could have a problem of the brachial plexus or nerves which come from the lower plexus through the shoulder. Give me the distribution of the pain and tingling in his fingers. Which fingers does it involve? Or is it the whole hand? Also this could be vascualar. Does he have risk factors for vascualar or arterial disease? Thanks. Dr. Frank
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is 69. No prior examination of neck. No cervical disc disease. Distribution of the pain and tingling involves all fingers and whole hand. However, now that he's up and about, tingling and pain in hand have subsided and only fingertips are numb. Pain is pretty much limited to underneath side of upper arm. No risk factors for vascular or arterial disease that he is aware of.
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.
This is what I can tell you from here. The back of the upper arm is triceps which gets exclusive innervation from the radial nerve mostly C7 root. That nerve is up around the rotator cuff so if he has a shoulder injury that could be the problem spot. The sensory symptoms from his hand where it is in all fingers is classically C7 in distribution. If more on the back of his hand we are back to a lesion further down away from his neck at the radial nerve. But if not, and it is palm and all fingers, think cervical disc disease with problems at C6/7 causing a C7 radiculopathy. Get back to me to discuss. In cervical disease the symptoms are worse with coughing or sneezing. The worse in the morning could be radial nerve especially if he puts his arm under your head at night ( honeymooners palsy). Dr Frank