Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

My husband is 70 years old and has been dealing with

Customer Question

my husband is 70 years old and has been dealing with symptoms for a while now which seem to progressively be getting worse
His hearing is getting very bad...has dizzy spells...his vision, especially when he looks thru bifocals, make everything look smaller and distorted, his perception is off like when he trys to put a key card in a hotel room door or even zip his jacket he has a problem
he also has balance issues
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to JA. Has he seen a neurologist? This can be a combination of factors, but with ataxia or problems of balance, he needs his sensory function to his legs tested. He also needs his cerebellar function tested and his hearing may be linked to his balance problem as well, if he has dizzy spells. So he needs the neurologist, a neurological exam, and maybe an MRI scan of his brain. Does he drink alcohol to excess? Or any other reason, any family history of neurodegenerative disorders? Any other medical problems like diabetes? Get back to me to discuss this further and I will reply, or if satisfied with this answer, please remember to rate my service by clicking on the rating stars, as that is how I am compensated for this work thanks *****

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no alcohol
no family history...his mother lived to 96 and father to 90 with no disorders..no diabetes
the balance has been for a while but the hearing and vision/perception problems have progressed over the last 5-6 months
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

his balance could be secondary to all the visual/perception and hearing problems as well. A sensory deprivation syndrome, but you would have to test him, like having him walk a straight line, arms down, head out, heel to toe. If he is ataxic in that setting, it is not the visual/hearing problems. You can also try the Romberg with him. Put is two feet together, arms at his side. he is looking out at you (you put your arms out but don't touch him in case he falls) and then he closes his eyes. Does he fall over? If yes, that suggests a sensory neuropathy problem. Dr Frank

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i think our biggest concern is the vision/perception problem rather than the balance issue...he has had that for a long time and has gone to pt a while back...wondering what might be causing his vision...he says when he looks thru his bifocals like his hands and other objects look small instead of magnified...then when he tries to zip or put something in a small space he is way off..even when he parks the car he stops way back from the curb...he went to the opthamologist in dec and he saw nothing wrong
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.
Well in neurology there is the tendency to combine neurological problems into one disease entity. A slowly progressive ataxia or loss of proprioception which then develops into visuospatial disorientation and auditory discrimination errors or sensorineural hearing loss could be related under a metabolic or toxic entity like severe B12 depletion ( subacute combined degeneration) or one of the neurodegenerative disorders like platybasal degeneration or amyloidosis. With no family history parkinson plus disorders seem unlikely but you could conceive some type of white matter metabolic disorder so my suggestion would be a brain MRI for starters. If his vision per ophthalmic exam is normal then effects in the optic tracts in white matter could account for these complaints. If he is past pointing and ataxic, look for cerebellar degenerative disorders. Dr Frank.