Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

I have what feels like a swollen vein around my right

Customer Question

I have what feels like a swollen vein around my right temple. Is there something I can do for the pain and headache? Migraine meds and ibuprofen aren't helping
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 11 months ago.

Hello. Well you can ice it to reduce the inflammation. What migraine medications have you tried? A triptan type of med? any ergot types you have available? If you are older, any chance you have temporal arteritis? A family history of rhematoid arthritis? Let me know Dr Frank

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I'm 32, and no arthritis in family history. I have sumatriptan for migraines.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The spot is pretty painful, I thought maybe I had hit it on somethings. I can feel the swollen area under my scalp.

No, you are too young for arteritis. It is just your migraine. All you can do is hydrate yourself and ice the spot to reduce the swelling. I prescribe sumatriptan to be taken as soon as possible in the onset of the migraine, then to repeat it in 2 hours if no better. did you try that? Dr Frank

You can also take a special NSAID medication, indomethacin, although using just aleve (naprosyn) at 400 mg with food might help the swelling. Dr Frank