Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

I have a shooting pain in my head on the right side above my

Customer Question

I have a shooting pain in my head on the right side above my ear. They are random, and seem to move a bit. What could be causing it? Felt some pressure behind my right eye before I went to bed.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 11 months ago.

Hello. the most common cause is muscular contraction headache which causes "lightening strike" symptoms as they are called in various places on the sides of your head, like above your ear. This has been described in patients that take SSRI medications (antidepressants like Zoloft) and is though to be a neurochemical effect of the drug. Alternatively, those who drink too much caffeine, or stimulants, or have high stress levels suffer from these problems. Alternatively as well, you can have sinus congestion symptoms and have a similar problem, and with your distribution around the right eye and around the mastoid area of the right ear, do you have sinus symptoms of mucus, cough, etc? Get back to me if I can help and i will reply. Or if satisfied, please remember to rate my service by clicking on the rating stars, as that is how I am compensated for this work.. Thanks *****

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have no sinus symptoms, and dont take antidepressants, could be stress related. The pollen is bad here, maybe causing sinus that I don't realize.

Well you could try symptomatic treatments, just OTC saline nasal spray to open your sinuses might help. Dry air with the winter is often a problem, although here that is not an issue today. Stress can play a role, think about non medication treatments like yoga or meditation, or relaxation therapy as offered by a psychologist to reduce stress levels. Dr frank I will put out the phone offer box if you want to discuss this over the phone. It is an optional service by JA, they charge extra. If interested, please put your number in the box and a time for me to call you, if not now. Dr Frank