Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.

I was in a car accident broken ribs plate put in broken

Customer Question

i was in a car accident broken ribs plate put in broken pelvis now walking with some pain fractured scull can they remove the plate is it safe to walk on a fractured pelvis
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 7 months ago.

HI. Welcome to JA. I assume you are talking about a plate on your skull, you must have had a depressed skull fracture???? It depends on the type of plate, but generally most skull plates are not removed anymore. They are made out of titanium, or some light alloy, and there is no reason to remove them. How long ago was the accident? How can I help? where did you break your pelvis (what bone?) If you have reports and wish me to explain the anatomy to you, just upload the documents minus your name as this is a public forum and I will reply. Or if satisfied with this answer, please remember to rate my service by clicking on the rating stars, as that is how I am compensated for this work. thanks dr frank

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
the plate is holding ribs together as they broke into several pieced and puncturd my lung lung

Oh. so that is different. given your age, and probable bone loss from post-menopausal calcium depletion (???, do you take calcium supplementation?) I would not be too much in a hurry to remove the plate as the pain might start back, or you could get neuralgia from irritation of the nerves which run just under the ribs. How long has it been since the accident. Did you get the ones called MatrixRIB? You don't remove those. Get back to me to discuss this further if I can help. Dr Frank