Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.

My wife is having muscle spasms that takes over her body

Customer Question

My wife is having muscle spasms that takes over her body where she just shakes and can't move. She can talk and if fully aware of what's going on. She also has body jerks while she's asleep. She also sometimes have difficulty with holding things her grip gets weak. Any idea of what may be going on.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 7 months ago.

Hello. Welcome to JA. From that amount of information and no exam or lab findings it is difficult to give you the correct answer as to what is going on or why. I can make a few statements that may help. First, you can have jerking movements on one side or one part of one side of your body and that be seizures with talking and preservation of consciousness, but if the jerks cross midline that rule stops. So if she is jerking bilaterally with talking it suggests non- epileptic seizures and a video/ EEG lab can record those spells and make a diagnosis. Please get back to me to discuss this further and I will reply, or if satisfied please remember to rate my service by clicking on the rating stars as that is how I am compensated for my work. Thanks. *****

get back to me if I can help Dr Frank