Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.

What is the medical protocol to treating loss of feeling in

Customer Question

What is the medical protocol to treating loss of feeling in my lip and jaw after extraction of
lower wisdom tooth
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 7 months ago.

Hello. Welcome to JA. How long has your jaw been numb?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
since 3/11/16

Well at this point the most likely cause is neuropraxis of the inferior alveolar nerve. The nerve is swollen from either infection, the anesthetic, a combination. This causes local conduction block and as the environment around the nerve improved through healing, sensation should come back. Steroids are a consideration so you should ask your dentist/ oral surgeon if that and/ or antibiotics are indicated. But at this point unlikely. It is more a watch and wait. I hope that answers your question. Dr Frank