Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurology & Int Medicine (US Trained): 20 yrs experience
61817858

My 16 year old son had a stress fracture in s olecranon and

Customer Question

Hi my 16 year old son had a stress fracture in his olecranon and it ended breaking off while he was playing sports with his friends. So, he ended up getting a bracket with 10 screws to hold it in place. Our Dr. said to keep the hardware in but I'm concerned about the following and can't understand the reason to keep it in.
1. Doesn't leaving hardware in this prominet area leave my son elbow and forearm at risk for more broken bones in case he falls in the plate in a accident or simple fall?
2. Overtime, doesn't your bones weaken so at say 45 years of age and he needs it out the bone won't grow back in the screw holes?
3. I feel there's more risk by keeping the plate in.
Please advise me I might be wrong I just don't understand the thought of keeping this hardware in.
Thank-you,
Lauren Blue
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.

Hi Lauren. Sorry to hear about your son's injury. I agree that it is upsetting to imagine that hardware being in his arm for his entire life. That said, once it is in, it can be risky and counterproductive to try to remove it...and it may, in fact, be much stronger with the hardware than without...and actually make another fracture less likely. What I would suggest is that you bring him and his films into another pediatric orthopedist and get a second opinion. Different doctors have different opinions on such matters. On the other hand, if they agree with each other than you can feel confident it was/is the right approach.

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.

Hi Lauren. Did you have any follow up questions? Let me know if there is anything else I can do for you.

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.

Lance. Best of luck to you and your son.

May God smile on you both