Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

Thanks so much my question. I am 49 years old. I have major

Customer Question

Hello - thanks so much for answering my question. I am 49 years old. I have major stiffness, weakness and achiness in my shoulders and upper arms. This occasionally becomes painful; and may move down my spine. I feel like I have the flu. I am fatigued, tired, malaised, and depressed. I also have daily headaches. I have lost 25 pounds since September. I do not have as much stiffness in my hips or upper legs - just weakness. My temperature is oddly below normal. Because of my age and normal ESR and C-Protein blood test results, I was diagnosed very quickly with fibromyalgia. However, I can't say that my primary issue is pain. Is it possible that I have PMR? If so, how do I approach this with my rheumatologist without being rude or an Internet diagnoser? Steve
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 11 months ago.

First of all, as a provider of health care for 25 years, the "playing field" has changed dramatically as a result of the internet. My patients ask questions constantly based on bits of information gleaned from the internet. It is part of medicine, and you should ask your provider, tell him you are interested in learning more about "My Health". To answer your question about PMR, the westergren ESR is classically raised in that condition, but other labs to check include a CK (creatine kinase) and aldolase for signs of inflammatory muscle disease. You should have your thyroid functions checked and a resting cortisol if you have hypothermia. With the weight loss, certainly anemia has to be addressed as a possibility, and looking at your iron stores (Fe++, TIBC, ferritin) should be checked. Also with PMR, you need an RAl (rheumatoid factor) especially if you have a family history of rheumatological problems. Dr Frank