Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

My tension headaches became chronic in 2009, and are now

Customer Question

My tension headaches became chronic in 2009, and are now pretty much 24/7. X-Ray now shows cervical kyphosis to the point my neck is straight and starting to reverse curve. So diagnosis is cervicogenic headache.
I've been through Kaiser chronic pain program, various meds via neurology, nerve blocks, Botox in scalp, epidurals, to no avail. Best help has been heat wraps, yoga, massage, but relief is only temporary. I work full time as an analyst (computer jockey), and this is first time pain severity has impacted my ability to work. I've decided it's time to discuss surgery and am being referred to a Kaiser neurosurgeon to discuss. I live in Dublin, CA.
Should I see a chiropractor for the pain to get me through this?
How do I make sure I see the best Kaiser surgeon for my neck condition? Should I get a second opinion? How do I find a doctor for secon opinion? Do you have any other suggestions for finding the best care? I've researched my condition, but not sure how to find the best info about it. The pain is now frightening.
Thank you so much!
Anne
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 11 months ago.

Hello. Welcome to JA. You should see your chiropractor for symptomatic care, as from your statements, treatment like BOTOX and ESI are not effective. But to determine if surgery would help you, I would need the MRI report and an EMG exam report as well as your story. Do you have multilevel cervical stenosis? or severe disc degeneration at one or more levels? You should get a second opinion on cervical surgery, but I do not know how to pick the best Kaiser MD. Get back to me with questions, send more information, and I will try to help. Do you have weakness or numbness into your shoulders or arms, or just the cervicogenic headache? Dr Frank