Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

I have spent the last 20 years trying to find a diagnosis

Customer Question

I have spent the last 20 years trying to find a diagnosis for what appears as an undiagnosed autoimmune disease or exposure in my early twenties to toxins at the bottom of Long Island sound. I have had an MRI for MS, I had some sort of test for Lupus, I've been naysaid for Fiber Myalgia. My spine is a junk yard and have had four surgeries to prop up my neck with titanium rod implants, bolts and nuts, spinal fusion on three sections of my lower spine. Due to my percolating disability, my company let me go as they didn't want the liability of me working often 50 or 60 stories in the air as a very good IT, wireless, point to point microwave architect and implementation leader. I applied for disability and I understand it's not common in being approved the very first time and without question. I suffer from depression, and severe anxiety, which may be part of the equation. I am cureently being treated for Diabetes, High Blood Pressure, and moderate to severe pain. I have been prescribed and taking oxycodone for quite some time now at moderate doses, several times in 24hrs. I believe I am now addicted. I've been told my screen for autoimmune related arthritis did come back twice with elevated nucleotides but it was not high enough that a rheumatologist would see me, though of concern. I have been going for so long and have taken so many tests, I am nearing eating a gun. I am out of ideas. Im not looking for a cure, just the right treatment that might slow the progression. Like I said, it has all the symptoms of a autoimmune disease, heavy metal poisoning lime disease etc, but no smoking gun. I was told I had a small tumor on my brain stem. Four doctors didn't give me the same answer, one said it wasn't anything and not to worry. Im on the road to being a full fledged addict and half insane. Please help with some direction? Help!
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 1 year ago.

Hi. My name is***** and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.

Question and answer is just one of the services I offer. I can also provide you with premium services, such as live telephone or skype consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.

It sounds like you have spent quite some time trying to get to the bottom of what is going on. I am sure that your previous doctors have thought of, and ruled out, all of the common and easily treatable conditions that could be causing your issues. Would you say this is a correct statement?

Well I think it might be time for you to take a very difficult, and bold, step to see if you can get some relief.

At this point I think the best thing for you to do would be to gather up copies of all your medical records and travel to a large University Teaching hospital. At an institution like that you could be evaluated and treated by a team of sub-specialists who are at the cutting edge of their respective fields. The best thing about these large teaching hospitals is that consultations are available with Professors and leaders in their field by just walking a few steps down the hall.

The Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota is an excellent example of just such a place as this. That being said there are many excellent teaching hospitals all across the country and I am sure that there is one near you.

I know that it is going to take significant effort on your part, but I believe that going to one of the "Medical Mecca's" is your best chance to – finally -- get to the bottom of what is going on.

Does this make sense to you?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned the top rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS