Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurology & Int Medicine (US Trained): 20 yrs experience
61817858

What would cause a slight burning sensation on the right

Customer Question

What would cause a slight burning sensation on the right side mid torso. It feels as if a heating pad has been applied to that area, but only for a matter of seconds. This sensation comes and goes.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 10 months ago.

When did this start?

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 10 months ago.

Also, are you on any medications for any reason?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It only started about a week ago. The only prescription I'm using are the restasis eye drops.
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 10 months ago.

Intermittent burning (paresthesias) in the torso, especially if it is only on one side, may indicate an early case of pre-rash shingles (pre-herpetic neuralgia) or some other cause of nerve irritation (thoracic neuralgia). Common causes include diabetes, thyroid dysfunction, liver disease, mononeuritis multiplex. You should see your PMD if this persists, or a rash ensues, and have the appropriate work-up. In most cases, neuralgias are self-limited and resolve within weeks to months.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I thought of shingles, but I had the vaccine about 2 years ago which would help if that's what is causing it. In any case, I will go to my family doctor and try to find out the cause. Thanks, Kate
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 10 months ago.

If you had the zoster vaccine that should be protective against a shingles outbreak. That said, there are other processes that can cause inflammation or irritation in a single nerve or nerve branch anywhere in the body. It can be quite distressing, but is typically benign and temporary. If this condition does worsen, there are medications that can be used to stabilize the nerve and reduce symptoms until healing occurs (e.g. gabapentin, pregabalin).

Hope all works out for the best for you.