Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

I have had several episodes in the past of vertigo lasting a

Customer Question

I have had several episodes in the past of vertigo lasting a few hours. I usually sense it in the middle of the night and always wake up with it. It typically lasts through the morning. Sometimes I am better in a couple of hours but almost always by lunch time. I have seen a neurologist before and had a CT scan during one of the episodes. Nothing was abnormal about the scan or my in office neruologvial testing.I also had ear and balance testing with ENT and he my eyes checked. Based on all of these tests being normal, I was diagnosed with atypical migraines.This morning I woke up with vertigo and it felt like the other times. I had sensed it during the night so was not surprised. However it hasn't gotten better and I also have sweaty/clammy hands and feet today, as well as a general pressure in my head.I don't recall having these during the previous episodes. Is this any cause for concern or is it likely the same as the other episodes, just lasting longer and with a few other symptoms?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 9 months ago.

Hi. My name is***** and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.

Question and answer is just one of the services I offer. I can also provide you with premium services, such as live telephone or skype consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.

do you have any other symptoms?

How long has this been going on for?

Do you have any other medical problems or take any medications?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The only symptoms I have are the vertigo, the sweaty hands/feet, and head discomfort (it's not quite a headache; more like pressure). I also feel chilled.This episode started this morning, though I did sense the vertigo throughout the night as I was trying to sleep.I do not take any medication. I have idiopathic gastroparesis and IBS. The vertigo has been diagnosed previously as atypical migraines.

Thank you for that additional information.

This does sound like a bit longer lasting episode of the same thing you have had in the past.

That being said perhaps it would be useful to get a second opinion. If you wanted to take this course I would suggest you meet with a Professor of Medicine at a teaching hospital.

At an institution like that you could be evaluated and treated by a team of sub-specialists who are at the cutting edge of their respective fields. The best thing about these large teaching hospitals is that consultations are available with Professors and leaders in their field by just walking a few steps down the hall.

The Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota is an excellent example of just such a place as this. That being said there are many excellent teaching hospitals all across the country and I am sure that there is one near you.

I know that it is going to take significant effort on your part, but I believe that going to one of the "Medical Mecca's" is your best chance to – finally -- get to the bottom of what is going on.

Does this make sense to you?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned the top rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Okay, I appreciate that advice. I will look into teaching hospitals near me. It would be nice to have a more definitive answer about what is causing these episodes and what to do about it.But it doesn't sound particularly worrisome, then, just a longer episode than usual?

That is what it sounds like from what you have posted online here....

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you can please give me the top rating in all areas. It has been a pleasure to assist you today.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS