Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

I'm 30 years old three months now i have been getting random

Customer Question

I'm 30 years old for about three months now i have been getting random sharp stabbing pains in different places of my head. It has been most common on the right side of head and back. i have a bit of stiffness on my back neck as well. The pains come very randomly and stay for a few seconds and go away. But the pain is very sharp and stabbing. I'm starting to worry a lot. Doctors gave me ibuprfen, nortriptylin, cyclobenzaprine and its not working. It dosent feel like a migraine because i dont have any other symptoms with it. Im really scare it can be somthing sirouse i had done a CatScan, blood test and spine fluid test two months ago and came out negetive i cant figure what it can be i really need more answers......
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to JA. I will review your statement and reply shortly. Please read this preliminary answer and respond. Dr Frank

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

The fact that you have these lightening pains suggest that the problem is extracranial or outside your skull. This problem is commonly an effect of muscular contraction of scalp muscles that are over the aponeurosis, a sheet of connective tissue that contains nerve fibers. On way to rid yourself of this problem is to consider Botox injections in the scalp muscles that are causing the problem. But is not a brain tumor, stroke, vascular thrombosis, infection, etc. get back to me to discuss this further if I can help. Ask questions and I will reply. Or if satisfied please remember to rate my service by clicking on the rating stars as that is how I am compensated for my work. Thanks. Dr Frank

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there any other way i can get rid of it besides injections?
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Some studies say this problem is related to being on SSRI medication if not muscle contraction as I mentioned. You mentioned you were taking nortriptaline. Was that before the problem started or after? If before, I would suggest you ask your doctor about stopping it to see if that stops the problem. There is also FIORECET which is for headache. It has butalbital in it and that can relax scalp muscles and stop the problem. Get back to me if I can help further. Dr Frank

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All medications are after, and nothing is helping me with these random pains im getting. Doctors or ER dont do much been wanting to go to a specialist instead but i need a referral from my doctor. My doctor says it might be 2 monthe to see a specialist and ever since been extremly worry i might die of somthing i dont know why i have? Or why i got it!!!
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

This is a common form of a stress related headache. So the first question is if you are under stress? Do you have anxiety problems? Any history of migraine in the family? You are not going to die from this, that i can tell you. But you do need some treatment that stops this problem. Any headache specialist can give you BOTOX if you cannot see a neurologist. Dr Frank