Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

As there is such a wait list is there a private clinic

Customer Question

As there is such a wait list is there a private clinic available in Edmonton for possible MS my Grandaughter had been told her referral will take about 9 months and she is suffering everyday.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 11 months ago.

Hi. How can I help? If she has MS, one of the most important findings seen in recent research is the need to start DMTs ( disease modifying therapy) for MS ASAP. Ultimate prognosis or course of the disease depends on it. MS is a clinical diagnosis with " lesions in space and time". So sj

So she should have a history of separate different neurological problems which Coke and go over time. Does she have that? Get back to me with more information and I will reply. If you have any test results like MRI please upload them minus her name as this is a public forum and I will reply. Dr Frank

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi. My name is***** am 22 years old and I have every symptom of MS except hearing loss. I have Optic neuritis in my right eye and am completely blind in the right eye and partially color blind in the left. I have severe shooting/tingling pains in my arms and legs. When I go downstairs they shake and I feel like they are about to give out underneath me. I have short term memory problems. Trouble speaking such as forgetting certain words and very bad bladder problems such as urgency, frequency, pain and controlling it. I also have a family history of it on my Mom's side of the family. My doctor gave me a referral but said to expect it to take up to 9 months and this was over 2 months ago. It gets worse everyday I cannot take it. I am exhausted all the time. I could sleep for 14 hours and still be tired. I cannot wait mich longer I feel like I am deteriorating.

You may need to come to the US. Have you contacted the MS society for help? the best clinic for MS in Canada in my opinion is at MNI ( Montreal neurological institute). Contact Dr , Doug Arnold and tell him you cannot be seen and you may have MS. Dr Frank. Alternatively, the Dent Neurological Institute in Buffalo will see Canadian patients at a fee for service basis. I hope that helps. Dr Frank.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
that helps a lot. Thank you. Montreal sounds like a good option. Do you have any idea about costs for going to Buffalo?

I'm afraid I do not. But I know this is a common problem and Dent is working to keep your costs down. They do not get support from the Canadian govt though

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok thank you so much. I will give Montreal a try first.

You are welcome. Dr Frank