Janne Nissinen
Janne Nissinen,
Experience:  Neurology Fellow at University of California San Diego
92736226

My sister 52 y/o female has been seizure free x 30 years.

Customer Question

My sister 52 y/o female has been seizure free x 30 years. She had a temporal lobectomy at the age of 18. She has been seizure free x 30 years. We recently found out for the past fifteen years she has been in a physically abusive marriage and beat in the head for the last fifteen years of he marriage. She is now having seizures again as well as a CVA. She has been declined transportation in Fayetteville NC by the FAST transit system as she has been told Epilepsy is NOT a disability. How can I can help her have transportation when her driving license has been taken due to her seizures. Can you please help me?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Janne Nissinen replied 9 months ago.

I’m Dr. Janne Nissinen, a board certified neurologist.

Please note that this is an information request and does not substitute an in person visit to a physician or an official diagnostic process. The advice given here is for information purposes only.

As I am not from NC you will have to aid me in understanding what FAST transit is. Is it a specialized service for people with disability?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I need to assist her in transportation FAST is the government transportation . They continue to tell me the Epilepsy IS NOT A DISABILITY. Can you help me find anything in writing that says it is. She is not safe walking on public roads as she visual impairments as well. Macular Degeneration along w/ Periphal Neuropathy in her L Lower Extremity due to bladder surgery.

Did her CVA cause any problems?

Perhaps this site will give you some information: https://www.socialsecurity.gov/OP_Home/rulings/di/01/SSR87-06-di-01.html

If disability does not go through for epilepsy, then perhaps her vision impairment could. Also if she has persistent physical disability from her CVA that could work as well.

Thank you for allowing me to participate in your medical care.

If any part of my response is unclear, please let me know. It’s my goal to deliver excellent service, so please let me know if there is anything more I can do. Thank you for using our site. If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction please remember to leave positive feedback.

Thank you and Best Regards,

Janne Nissinen, MD