Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery, 5 years experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I'm concerned because I hurt my knee running the other day.

Customer Question

Hi! I'm concerned because I hurt my knee running the other day. My knee was very swollen so I have been icing and elevating it, but now the swelling has gone down to my ankle as well. Is this something to be worried about?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.

Hi and thanks for the query.

You did the right thing with elevation and iceing however, if the knee was swollen then an x ray and an examination at that time was warranted. Having said that, it is normal for the swelling to go down to the ankle because fluid accumulation is gravity dependent. I would suggest that you have your knee joint examined and get x rays done to rule out any bony injury. If the doctor thinks it is relevant an MRI of the knee should be done to alleviate any concerns about ligamentous injury.

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Please do not forget to leave a positive rating by clicking on stars on top right corner.

Wish you good health.