Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

I used icy hot on my neck and went to take a shower and now

Customer Question

I used icy hot on my neck and went to take a shower and now it looks like this and is burning. What do I do?
Category: Neurology
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Photos
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Use some soap in the shower again. If that doesn't help, you need some isopropyl alcohol and a cotton wipe to remove residual solvent which is effecting your skin. If your skin is red, you may have an allergic reaction and should not use it again. I hope that helps. Dr Frank

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've used the same icy hot before in the same area and never had a reaction. It is physically burning after taking a hot shower. Is it possibly a reaction from heat? Some type of burn? Can you look at the photo? Thanks.
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Yes the hot shower let the icy hot penetrate in an area that is very sensitive. That is called an arthrus reaction for the chemical irritation in a vulnerable area. Put a cold compress on the area after getting as much off as you can. If this persists you need a medrol dose pack to reduce the histamine response, or if you have any antihistamine at home like Claritin or benedryl lotion use that. Dr Frank

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

I hope I was able to help. Please remember to rate my service by clicking on the rating stars as that is how I am compensated for my work. Thanks. Dr Frank