Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

Can parts of the brain that stopped working..specifically

Customer Question

Can parts of the brain that stopped working..specifically the cortex... regenerate themselves after a cardiac arrest and potentially enable patient to function (near) normally again and if so, does it usually happen gradually and over what period of time for a more full recovery? Is such a recovery as likely as a lack of recovery or more or less?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 9 months ago.

Hello. Brain cells (neurons) for the most part do not regenerate in the brain. There are nerve growth factors that have been shown to exist in human brain but little if any growth occurs. The brain can build new circuits out of surrounding viable brain tissue. That is why rehabilitation works. I hope that answers your question. Dr Frank

I hope I was able to answer your question. Please remember to rate my service by clicking on the rating stars as that is how I am compensated for my work. Thanks Dr Frank