DrThomasMd
DrThomasMd, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Internal medicine doctor, diagnose and treat neurology patients, many years
24257177

My father suffered a full cardiac stop. He was not fully

Customer Question

My father suffered a full cardiac stop. He was not fully recussitated for about 15 minutes...during an initial period of at least 5 minutes he was wedged in between the door where he fell and my mother was only successful to prop him on his shoulder from time to time when he gasped for breath each time.
He is in a coma. Day 2. The first day he was given Therapeutic Hypothermia
and taken off it about 8 hours ago.
He has been opening his eyes when people come to see him , spit out water after his mouth was cleaned and closed his eyes when the doctor showed a light in it.
An EEG was performed shortly after admission and showed little activity in the cortex but did show brain activity.
We are now waiting and hoping for him to come out of coma. The doctor said that if brain activity to the cortex does not return he would basically be in a vegetative state ...but did not say much/sound optimistic when we asked about the likelihood of immediate or eventual return of activity to the cortex.
What are the odds for return of normal brain activity?
All of his other vitals are good.
Also, I have read that oxygen treatment can help restore brain activity when administered immediately after the incident. Any thoughts?
Thank yo.
Category: Neurology
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  DrThomasMd replied 1 year ago.

Hi

For me, there are two rules of thumb here.

After 48 hours you should see some responsiveness.

If there is going to be significant recovery, give it at least a week.

Hypoxic brain damage is tricky, and I have seen the plug pulled after 2 days, which is too soon.

Yes the odds are poor, but in my experience, not that poor.

OK, so that is an initial answer….

Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.