Neuro Doctor
Neuro Doctor, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  American Board Certified Neurologist, Internal Medicine
56178413

Can you take methylprednisone & excedrine together! I am

Customer Question

Can you take methylprednisone & excedrine together! I am having the worst arthritis flair in shoulder & knee?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Neuro Doctor replied 9 months ago.

Hi Barbara, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns.

You may take a steroid like methylprednisone along with a pain killer like excedrine (which contains nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory agents like aspirin, paracetamol, along with caffeine), and there are no absolute contraindications for taking these two pills together however please see that this combination may increase the risk of irritation of the stomach and rarely cause gastritis or gastric ulcers or very rarely even bleeding etc. But considering that you are having very severe pain and in need to stronger pain control so if you take methylprednisone along with excedrine then please make sure that you use some stomach protectors like Pepcid or Omeprazole or some antacid preparations like Maalox or Mylanta etc and also try to consume enough water. You may also try to take these meds on full stomach. These various approaches can help you in avoiding or minimising the stomach irritation.

Once again to your main question, yes you can take the above mentioned meds together however please try to take them with the above precautions so that side effects can be prevented or minimized.

Please let me know if you have any further questions; and if you feel you have received the answer to your question please rate me so that I can receive credit for the time and effort put by me in answering your question.

Best regards,

Neuro Doctor

Best regards,

Neuro Doctor