Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

I had all my labs done last November with no problems. I

Customer Question

I had all my labs done last November with no problems. I there a water pill on something I can take? Most of my pants are not fitting either.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to JA Yes, the solution is to take a diuretic or water pill, which will bring the swelling down. You need to reduce your salt content, and actually drink more water as it has a diuretic effect on its own. The most common diuretic is HCTZ (hydrochlorothiazide), which will reduce the swelling in your limbs. A better choice if you have constipation and abdominal swelling, is spironolactone, taking 75 mg two to three times a day. With both of these, you need to watch your serum potassium level (not so much with spirononlactone as it is a potassium sparing diuretic, but you might still drop) and eat potassium containing foods. Furosemide (Lasix) is another good choice to drop water weight quickly. Please get back to me with questions if I can help, or if satisfied with this answer, please remember to rate my service by clicking on the rating stars as that is how I am compensated for this work. thanks Dr frank

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are any of these OTC? If not, could you please recommend something I could buy at the pharmacy?
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

None of these pills are available over the counter Diuretics can be dangerous if not taken as prescribed as I mentioned earlier. Especially if you have swelling to the extent you describe. You need a doctor to monitor your edema or swelling. If you have ascites from your intestinal problem this must be watched closely and blood values checked occasionally. There are "diruretics" that you can find OTC but they are really just sympathomimetic agents, not true diuretics, used for weight loss. You really do not want to go in that direction based on your statements. I hope that helps Dr Frank

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

The safest diuretic available in the US is HCTZ, hydrochlorothiazide. In certain parts of the world, and I have heard in certain states in the US, you might call your pharmacist and ask if you can get it without a prescription. Dr Frank

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

I hope I was able to answer your questions. Please remember to rate my service by clicking on the rating stars as that is how I am compensated for my work. Thanks Dr Frank