Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

I had a dizzy spell this morning. The room was spinning a

Customer Question

I had a dizzy spell this morning. The room was spinning a couple of times and then it stopped and haven't had any spinning since. It seems to be the first thing in the morning.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 10 months ago.

Thank you for your question.

The most common cause of one odd episode of dizziness is a condition called as benign paroxysmal positional vertigo which is a condition where one experiences sudden episodes of dizziness.

It is usually self-limiting and is not anything serious.

However, as a general rule, any person who has new onset dizziness must be evaluated to rule out a heart condition or a brain problem such as a transient ischemic attack, which is the reason why I would recommend that you be seen to make sure this is nothing to worry about and to rule out anything serious.

This session is open for any further questions that you may have. I would appreciate it if you rate me by clicking on one of the rating options (stars) at the top right-hand-corner as that is the only way I am credited on here by the website for helping you out.
Kindest regards

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It comes and goes. I had it 2 days in Nov. 2 days in Dec. and 2 days in Jan. and again today. What would be causing it. Is it just vertigo.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 10 months ago.

It is almost certainly BPPV (benign paoxysmal positional vertigo).

Medications such as meclizine or betahistine or prochlorperazine which are vestibular suppressants (suppress the inner ear, which is the cause of the dizziness) will help a lot with your symptoms.

A maneuver called as Epley's maneuver performed in the doctor's office may also help a lot with your symptoms.

I would recommend that you be seen to confirm the diagnosis and then proceed accordingly.

Kindest regards

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 10 months ago.

Kindest regards

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Would I need a ct scan.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 10 months ago.

Most likely not.

But if the cause is not determined by examination and history then a MRI would be the better option.

Kindest regards

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
How do you determine by examination
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 10 months ago.

On examination a maneuver called as the Hallpike maneuver is performed to diagnose vertigo especially BPPV that I mentioned above.

Here is a video of the examination that is done:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RYB2QlO1N4

Please rate me by clicking on one of the stars as that is the only way I am paid on this site.

Regards

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have an appt. to see the doctor today. Do you think it would be anything else causing it. I know when the room spins it makes me quamish
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 10 months ago.

I understand it is a scary feeling.

I do not think that it is anything serious.

I do not think that there are other causes as far as I am concerned.

Please rate me when you are done.

Regards

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi there:
I went to see the doctor and told him about the dizziness and the ringing in the ears. He thought it was middle ear disorder or Meniere. He gave me serc to try.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I told him I have ringing in the ears all the time.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 10 months ago.

Please rate me by clicking on one of the rating options at your end before we proceed as that is the only way I am paid here by the website and your deposit on the site is released to me.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The serc will probably work for awhile and then it well probably come back. It doesn't seem to stay away
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
the vertigo seems to come and go and doesn't seem to stay away permanently as well as ringing in the ears
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I just started serc. I hope this will take it away all together. It tends to come back
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
would hearing aids help with the ringing in the ears
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 10 months ago.

Can you please rate me before I proceed.

Regards

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
HI dr. s:If a person was full of cancer if they were not opened or operated on would a person last this long, been having trouble since the 80's
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 9 months ago.

If you had cancer you would have already been in the heavens.

Dizzy spells like what you mentioned are usually not anything serious and related to an inner ear problem (benign positional vertigo).

I would recommend using something like antivert or meclizine or dimenhydrinate which is over-the-counter to help with the dizziness.

This session is open for any further questions that you may have.
Kindest regards

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I worry I have cancer been going on now since the 80's
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 9 months ago.

Trust me, this is not cancer.

It is your anxiety that is getting the better of you.

Let me know if you have more questions.

I would appreciate it if you rate me before we proceed.

Regards

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
would cancer show up in bloodwork. Had done in dec. everything was ok.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have depression. I would be ok for 3 or 4 weeks and then it comes back. Why
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
What would be causing this?
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 9 months ago.

Thank you for your follow up questions.

Can you please rate me by clicking on one of the rating options at your end before we proceed.

Regards