Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Experience:  Medical Doctor Trained at a Top Academic Institution
55099014

I am a 27yr old female and I started having left knee pain

Customer Question

I am a 27yr old female and I started having left knee pain about 6 months ago causing me to limp when walking. This resolved after a day. The next day I started having low back pain. The low back pain has continued as well as left hip pain. The pain is worse when sitting, stooping down, and also in the mornings. Some mornings I’ve woken up, unable to get out of bed without trying a few times, unable to get clothes on and unable to shut the car door once I was in it. Also, I still have the knee pain occasionally but it hasn’t interfered with walking like it did the first day.
I’ve been to 3 primary care doctors who have chalked it up to being something such as hip bursitis but haven’t done much investigation into what is causing me problems. I’ve recently starting seeing a chiropractor who did x-rays in office. He pointed out that my L5-S1 disc narrower than it should be. As I understand, an x-ray won’t tell much about what is causing this such as bulging disc or something else. He also has “left SI joint” noted on my chart. (I carry my chart back every appointment s so I was able to look at it)
More recently, I’ve been awakened by left foot pain. When I woke up yesterday my left ankle was swollen and hurting a lot more than usual. It was somewhat pink, but for the most part, normal in color. Throughout the day I found it difficult to walk and when pressing on the area, the pain is right where the bottom of my leg meets the foot. There’s a slight indent in that part of my leg/foot. It was also bothersome throughout the night as well.
I also have microscopic colitis. I’ve seen some more recent reports (2014) showing that those with MC could potentially have a form of arthritis or spondylitis. My main question is, with there being an issue with my SI joint and the microscopic colitis, should I seek help from a rheumatologist next? Or does my situation sound more mechanical related like a bulging disc? To my knowledge I don’t recall hurting myself, falling, etc. Can the narrowing of a disc be a sign of an autoimmune condition?
Since I haven’t been able to get many answers from the primary care doctors I’ve seen, any guidance you can provide is much appreciated.
Category: Neurology
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
not sure if this matters but I initially put this under the category of rheumatology, not sure how it got moved to neurology.
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 10 months ago.

any other medical issues?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No just microscopic colitis

Did anyone work up inflammatory arthritis like rheumatoid or lupus?

gout?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I've not been checked for that

what blood tests did he order?

what are you thinking? fibro?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
they haven't done anything so I Was wondering if I should try a rheumatologist now and if it sounds like an autoimmune issue or mechanical issue.

I think it is autoimmune at your age.

you need to see a rheumatologist

sorry about the late reply. I had to go offline

Please don't forget a positive rating. I appreciate it. :)

If you have more questions, just reply