Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

My MRI showed bifrontal cortical atrophy that is correlates

Customer Question

my MRI showed bifrontal cortical atrophy that is correlates clinically to my age, Is this something to be concerned about?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: it was a head MRI done since I had breast cancer. This was an incidental finding.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Neurologists generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 10 months ago.

Hello welcome to JA. I will review your statement and reply shortly. Please read this preliminary answer and respond. Dr Frank

I will try to explain your answer but please get back to me if you have questions. You are discussing cortical atrophy, a situation where your neocortex or outside surface shrinks.

If you do studies looking at large numbers of normal subjects over a wide demographic but without known disease and you do brain MRI on all of them yearly for 20 years starting at 40, then divide into women and men, then summate or average the images as a group, you will see that men's brains stay normal size until age 50 then start shrinking at an amazingly constant rate of 0.7% per year or so. Women's brains stay normal size longer, until 55, then start the decline at about the same rate. (Estrogen receptors in women's brains may protect them from shrinkage....). Anyway. Your scan suggests volume loss at close to that rate. So no, you do not need to be worried, like all of us you are aging, but gracefully. Please get back to me if you have questions and I will reply. Or if satisfied with this answer please remember to rate my service by clicking on the rating stars as that is how I am compensated for my work. Thanks. Dr Frank