Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

I had a stroke,apparently on top of brain, (left leg jerked

Customer Question

I had a stroke,apparently on top of brain, (left leg jerked up) this was several yrs ago. My left side including, esp face gets soooo numb during day. level of numbness never the same, am fine when I first get up, can this be helped?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

The treatment for stroke is directed at preventing another stroke with adequate medication, diet change and physical therapy to overcome deficits. There is no way yet to restore brain tissue lost in a stroke, only teach other brain tissue to take over. We can discuss your risk factors for having another stroke or any facet of treatment. Do you know why you had this stroke? Risk factors include family history of stroke or heart disease, high blood pressure smoking high cholesterol. Stress. Medications are based to address the type of stroke, thrombosis or embolic, microvascular or hemorrhagic. Get back to me to discuss this further if I can help. Or if satisfied please remember to rate my service by clicking on the rating stars as that is how I am compensated for my work. Thanks. Dr Frank

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was very unhappy with the answer. to me. answer was an obvious factor, which I already know, I was more interested in a way to lessen the numbness, perhaps with a med to quiet the nerve involved. perhaps even Neurontin, or my leg involvement Lyrica? So I basically look at my own problem. I hope you only charged me $5 for your info. which was nothing!!! thanks
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Neuropathic meds (gabapentin, pregabolin,duloxetine) do not lessen numbness from stroke. You can have central pain syndrome as associated with numbness and that you can treat but not numbness. If there was a way I would tell you. Good luck. Dr frank