Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurology & Int Medicine (US Trained): 20 yrs experience
61817858

I've just been to the dentist and I've got to wear a night

Customer Question

I've just been to the dentist and I've got to wear a night guard for 3 months before been referred to a specialist. I think the dentist wants to see if the night guard corrects the problem. Does that sound right? Are there any techniques that could help. I was wondering can I still go swimming as this really helps with my gout but struggling to wear goggles on my face as it makes me feel a bit anxious for some reason.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 10 months ago.

Why did your dentist prescribe a night guard? Have you also been evaluated by your family doctor?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I was looked at by an ENT specialist but they couldn't find any infection in my ears and they said that I had a problem with grinding and then referred me to a dentist. The thing is it's causing headaches, pressure in my ear some anxiety and sometimes a stuffiness. When the dentist examined me they said my bite wasn't straight so said I should go for a night guard for 3 months before referring to a specialist.
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 10 months ago.

The night guard is a good idea. If it works it helps with the diagnosis and treatment. If it doesn't, you would need to look for other possible causes and solutions. In the meantime, exercise is an excellent idea and swimming is one of the best forms of exercise. You should also ask your doctor about using a muscle relaxer at night to keep the jaws in a more relaxed state.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Definitely that sounds a great idea about the muscle relaxer. Would you ask for that at the same time? Also I was wondering if you could recommend any exercises that might help to ease the inflammation too. I'm picking up my night guard next week. If the night guard doesn't treat it the dentist said she would refer me to a specialist. Just hope a solution can be found and I don't loose my hearing permanently as I'm also a singer and teacher. Any help with this would be great. Fantastic as I really love swimming and walking
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 10 months ago.

If you are concerned about hearing loss, get an audiogram. You would want to see the specialist sooner if this is affecting your hearing. As for exercises, regular swimming is best. You could also ask for a referral to physical therapy to design a home program for you.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have had audio tests with the ENT but they couldn't see any hearing loss or infection. Do you think it would be best to see how the night guard goes or try and get an referral to see a specialist sooner?
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 10 months ago.

A normal audiogram is very reassuring. The night guard is worth a try. Three months seems like a reasonable test period.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
That's great. I know I'm probably worrying, probably a bit anxious but do u think as well as talking to the dentist and also trying this night guard, should I talk to my family doctor again to see if a jaw x Ray needs to be taken and also if there are ways of relaxing taking the stress out of the jaw. Let me know what you think?
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 10 months ago.

Yes and yes. :-)

An xray would help to look for possible degenerative changes in the jaws, which could be of both diagnostic and prognostic value. As for stress in the jaws, muscle relaxers can help, as can anxiety medications such as clonazepam. In addition, meditation, yoga, or hypnosis therapy may be helpful and are worth a try.