Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

Why would a neurologist order protein level of spinal fluid

Customer Question

Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Hello. To answer that question you have to know the sources for protein in the CSF ( cerebrospinal fluid). It comes from your blood, from the plasma in your blood. Proteins leak into the CSF at a certain fixed rate to give a value that is a ratio of that found in the serum. It is not easy for protein to get in, there is the BBB ( blood brain barrier) whose job it is to keep foreign agents out of the brain. So when your CSF protein increases, it suggests an inflammatory ( usually) process like meningitis to cause that to happen. CSF protein is an indirect measure that something is happening. Disc disease from arthritis, inflammatory neuropathy, a bunch of things can do this besides infection. Any vasculitis can disrupt the BBB I Hope that answers your question. Please get back to me if you have further questions and I will reply. Or if satisfied please remember to rate my service by clicking on the rating stars as that is how I am compensated for my work. Thanks. Dr Frank

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

There are important subsets of the protein intermingled with the total protein concentration in CSF. If you want to discuss that, get back to me. Dr Frank

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Hi. I see you are checking on answers? Do you have questions? Dr Frank