Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I'm trying to locate a surgeon and/or a team of surgeons who

Customer Question

I'm trying to locate a surgeon and/or a team of surgeons who can perform surgical reconstruction of the right knee down to the ankle and hammer toes and the left ankle and foot for someone with type 1A CMT I live in Midlothian, VA, across the river fro Richmond Would prefer a hospital in Richmond, VA but would consider a radius of up to a 5-6 hour drive. yOU SHOULD KNOW THAT I'm 84 YEARS YOUNG.Thank you,GEORGE C.***
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 10 months ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

Do you have a specific deformity?

Or are you having problems elated to the neuropathy manifestion?

Have you seen a local surgeon?

I had asked for some clarification and have not heard back.

The best rating systems rate the hospitals, along with the team of surgeons and nurses that work at that facility, rather than ratings of each individual surgeon. This is because individual surgeons do not perform sufficient volume of procedures for the ratings of individual surgeons to be statistically valid.

In Richmond, there is one hospital that is rated well in the area of Orthopedics, which is the Virginia Commonwealth University Medical Center. So, if your problem is related to an orthopedica deformity related to the CMT, then it would be reasonable to consider being seen at this hospital in Richmond. However, there is no hospital in RIchmond that is well rated in Neurology and Neurosurgery. So, if you are needing surgery related to the neuropathic component, it would be necessary to travel elsewhere to be seen at a well rated facility. The facility that has the best national rating that is closest to Richmond would be Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore, MD, which is ranked #3 nationally. You can contact the facility at(###) ###-####

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.