Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

I am thinking of making an appointment check up. I have been

Customer Question

I am thinking of making an appointment for a check up. I have been having what feels like quick electrical shocks in my head. The top area. I also get them in my chest area around my left breast bone but yesterday on my right side. They strike random and only last for about 5 seconds. However I get very light headed and very neverous sends me into a panic attack. .I also get very strong tightness in my left side of my head when it happens. I have had a cardiac check up that shows I have a minor MVP. I had a neck xray that's says I have damage to my c3 and c4 in my neck and natural degeneration to my c5 and c6. It is very scary as it happens sometimes when I'm driving and I feel like I could pass out.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 10 months ago.

Hello welcome to JA. I will review your statement and reply shortly. Please read this preliminary answer and respond. Dr Frank

Hi. I can send you some possibilities and we can discuss them. First, the association of MVP and migraine and/or panic attacks. This has been known for 30 years at least but the exact connection is still not known. The hypothesis is that MVP changes the hemodynamics environment of laminar flow by having leaky mitral valve leaflets to more turbulent flow. That causes a liberation of pro-excitatory cytokines, these molecules that go on to effect the blood vessels in the meninges of the brain causing migraine and panic attacks. Using betablockers is an effective treatment sometimes but not universally.

So my guess is that your meds are an attempt to test you along those lines of reason. Lightening strikes which is what you seem to be describing with quick shooting pain or sensations on your scalp usually and what you describe elsewhere may be part of this vascular response as they are reported in migraine but also those taking SSRI medication as preventative for migraine or depression.

This tightness along the side of your head could also be related to your cervical pathology as innervation to the scalp behind and above the ear is from C2,3, and 4 roots. So pinched nerve roots can establish pain and especially tingling and numbness. That can be tested by pin testing on the scalp comparing left and right. So a neurologist would do that on your exam. Please get back to me to discuss this further if I can help or rate my service by clicking on the rating stars if satisfied. Thanks. *****